Conflicted
As a big sports fan I've found myself to be very conflicted over the past ten years. Why? Stadium bills and debates ad nauseam! I love following all the local teams, but I also can't get myself to accept it is right for us the public be the major funding for a stadium project. There is nothing on the table for the pro teams, so let me just comment on MN House File 33 (and companion HF115). This bill was introduced by an Edina Republican as I recall, but it has plenty of bipartisan support. Of all the stadiums to finance with public funds, I guess this is my first choice simply because the "the U" is not going to hold us hostage for the stadium by threatening a move to a different city. I hope the legislators stick to their guns and keep the current financing numbers which the university wants to change a bit. It currently has a significant amount of funding from private donations, which is a good thing. Maybe this can be a good model and example for the ownership of the pro teams to work out a deal, but they better be ready to pay their share just like "U" alumni. I look forward to someday seeing the Gophers beat Michigan and hoist that jug OUTSIDE on a beautiful fall day.




<< Home