Sword
I wouldn't have fallen on a sword for this one, but I do think it is good news that HF405 seems to have died in committee. Why should the government force a business to ban smoking, let the free market and customers make the decision. Dan Severson (R-Sauk Rapids), who was the lone Republican to support the bill in the Commerce Committee, almost makes my point in his comments.
If that many voters want change, then the businesses will change if they vote with their wallet as I do. The Senate bill seems a bit more reasonable because it allows for some prudent exceptions.A stronger smoking ban, with bars and private clubs included, is still alive in the Senate. Some proponents suggested that they would await action by the full Senate before attempting to revive the bill on the House floor. If that occurs, members' votes would probably be recorded. And that could spell trouble for opponents of the ban, said Rep. Dan Severson of Sauk Rapids, the only outspoken Republican ban supporter on the House Commerce Committee. "You'd better have a real good reason to go against 70 to 80 percent of the voters," he said.

<< Home