I disagree and I'll use this quote to make my point.

"I would rather get away from that whole idea of clocks. We all want progress. But progress means getting nearer to the place where you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning, then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive ... [and] going back is the quickest way on." C.S. Lewis










I'm a member of the MOB.

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com

Friday, October 07, 2005

Mayoral Debate #1

Minneapolis Just in case you missed it, here is an article about a debate between the mayoral candidates for Minneapolis. If any of my readers attended this event I would love to hear if you think this article does a good job representing the event. Check boy mayor's website for other debates that are scheduled.

Rybak, McLaughlin Sharpen Differences Rochelle Olson, Star Tribune October 6, 2005 The two Minneapolis mayoral candidates, who often are thought to be similar, tried to detail their differences in response to a question at a debate Wednesday night. "First and foremost, I match my socks," said Hennepin County Commissioner Peter McLaughlin, bringing a smattering of laughs, but none from Mayor R.T. Rybak, who generally wears mismatched socks. McLaughlin continued, saying the mayor doesn't understand public-safety issues and the need for a world-class education system. He characterized himself as a strong supporter of neighborhoods. "I have a great track record of getting tough things done," McLaughlin said. Rybak said that the choice is between two "good public servants" but that he's been mayor for four tough years and still managed to get major work done, including the redevelopment of the former Lake Street Sears building as well as developing a revitalization plan for north Minneapolis. "I respect your work, commissioner, but I've been in charge. I've balanced budgets," Rybak said. "I've been a cheerleader and advocate for this city. ... Please don't tell me I don't understand public safety. These residents know I have." The two DFLers met for the first time since advancing from the Sept. 13 primary when the mayor outpolled the commissioner 44 to 35 percent. McLaughlin has ground to make up before the Nov. 8 general election, and conventional wisdom would have had him launching harsher criticism of the mayor, but that's not what happened at the debate before about 100 public housing residents in the city's Cedar-Riverside area. The Minneapolis Highrise Representative Council sponsored the two-hour event that included a chance to mingle and nosh afterward -- especially important for the many residents in attendance observing Ramadan who couldn't eat until sundown. Surprisingly, though, the mayor appeared as focused and pointed as he has the entire campaign season, giving clear responses while the commissioner often gave meandering, repetitive answers. The two were asked by an audience member what they would do if the state forced the city to choose between state aid for the Shubert Theatre or supportive housing. Rybak literally jumped up to answer, saying, "We can't allow the state to get away with that." He said that it's an unfair choice and that he would lobby and build coalitions to fight it. McLaughlin said the mayor had been presented with a similar option -- money for veterans' housing or a planetarium -- and failed to do the lobbying necessary to delivery. Rybak rebutted, "You misquote me. Don't do that. Tell the truth." The mayor said the city provides more supportive housing than other municipalities and should not lose out on arts funding because of it. "We've both done good work on housing," Rybak said. He also responded pointedly to a question of whether he would support new revenue for affordable housing. "Beware of politicians who promise things to the group they're in front of and don't repeat it the next time," Rybak said, accusing his opponent of doing just that. The mayor said that he had put millions into supportive housing and that he would continue to do so. McLaughlin said he would continue to invest in the security of buildings. He didn't directly answer the question but countered that he's balanced many budgets and created partnerships for more resources. Rochelle Olson is atraolson@startribune.com.
Source: Star Tribune, October 6, 2005