Which is Better?
I received two emails about "the deal", just like our friends at KvM, I agree with Gary. One is a statement by Rep Mark Kennedy and from a GOP party operative. I posted the full Kennedy statement and part of the other email below. I prefer the Kennedy statement myself.
The so-called compromise does not end a fundamental injustice: For the first time in our nation’s 216-year history, judges are now being held to a 60 vote standard, not the simple majority intended by the Constitution. Never before have judicial nominees who have passed out of the Judiciary Committee and would win a Senate majority, been denied a vote on the Senate floor. While it’s nice that 3 nominees will receive the floor vote they deserve, it leaves 4 nominees in limbo. Likewise, there is no guarantee going forward that future nominees will receive a vote. In my experience, practically everything is an “extraordinary circumstance” in the Senate. This agreement rewards obstruction. I want to serve in the Senate so I can help try to end the obstruction that has gone on too long. It’s time, once again, for common sense to prevail in the United States Senate. Mark Kennedy 06 651.644.2506
· It is a positive step that after enduring years of harsh, unjustified attacks, Justice Priscilla Owen, Justice Janice Rogers Brown, and Judge William Pryor will finally get an up-or-down vote on the Senate floor. · These highly qualified judicial nominees never should have been filibustered in the first place. · It is also a positive step that signatories of the compromise agreement have agreed not to filibuster judicial nominations in the future except under extraordinary circumstances.

<< Home