I disagree and I'll use this quote to make my point.

"I would rather get away from that whole idea of clocks. We all want progress. But progress means getting nearer to the place where you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning, then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive ... [and] going back is the quickest way on." C.S. Lewis










I'm a member of the MOB.

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Rep. Dan Larson's View On Marriage

63B's own Dan Larson attempted to amend HF0006 to remove the language that defines a marriage as one man and one woman. Thankfully, the measure failed.

In a shocking move, you can see that Rep. Thissen of 63A supported the amendment. I know this isn't how a representative democracy works, but if given the chance to vote individually I wonder how the residents of 63A and 63B would vote on this issue? I think collectively they'd disagree with Mr. Thissen and Mr. Larson.

Later that day, the bill passed the House on a 77 to 56 vote with 8 DFL breaking ranks in favor and 3 Republicans against (including Cox 25B - New Prague/Northfield, Meslow 53B - White Bear and Erhardt 41A - northern Edina).

The companion bill in the Senate, SF1691, has been referred to the Judiciary committee. Tell Senator Ranum and the members of this committee you support this bill.

UPDATE: Thanks to Dave Weinlick (SD63 DFL Chair) for the clarification. The amendment only would have modified HF0006 to "remove language which would ban the legal equivalent of marriage (such as civil unions)". This correction does alter the point a little, but I still contend that a referendum of SD63 voters would still fall in support of both of these bills.