KvM on Miers - Must Read
Judicial The posting at KvM was light the end of last week due to a little R & R by Gary, but early this morning he delivered an excellent post. You may not agree with his post, but one can certainly cannot argue with the way it was delivered. Much like Gary, I am frequent consumer of "pro-family" items myself, but I found myself agreeing with the following statements in his post.
We do not want a Justice Miers overturning Roe because she (correctly) believes abortion is the dismembering of innocent human life. We would want her to do so because the plain text of the Constitution is entirely silent on the matter and, thus, should be left up to the people in their respective state legislatures.
We do not want a Justice Miers period because it is clear that she lacks any coherent worldview outside her obviously heartfelt religious transformation. Evidence shows she would be every bit the conservative activist we have correctly been taught to fear from decades of watching liberals make law based on whim and whimsey. Should evangelicals or devout Catholics be prohibited from serving on the highest tribunal? By no means. But they must be able to render and articulate a decision based not on scripture but on another inspired text — the Constitution of the United States. As we opined a week ago, the Administration’s defense of Miers because she is “one of us” to evangelicals is the most insulting affront to people of faith in many, many years. Simply put, the nomination must be stopped. For a sense of how the Miers nomination is fracturing the conservative movement (and causing untold political harm), you will want to read HERE. We implore you, Mr. President. For the sake of the Constitution and your party, withdraw the nomination now.Some may disagree with Gary and I on making and supporting such statements, however I do not think this is a problem. I worked for and supported the President in '04 and I still will and do, but if I cannot respectfully disagree with a President or person I support then we have other issues to talk about. The difference of course is the word "repectfully", most people who disagree with President Bush fail miserably on that standard and therefore are not worth our time.




<< Home