Ranum Out, More Changes Coming?
2006 Elections, MN Senate, MN House Jane Ranum is not running for re-election for SD63.
Sen. Jane Ranum, DFL-Minneapolis, is the latest Minnesota legislator to announce she won't run for re-election. (Update 10 a.,m.) Rep. Dan Larson, DFL-Bloomington, says he'll run for Ranum's seat. Taht [sic] could put the House 63B seat in play, but Larson is holding open the possibility of a re-election campaign to the seat if he doesn't get the DFL endorsement in his bid for Ranum's seat.
As you can imagine, this is a significant reshuffling of the deck for SD63 for the '06 roster. A while back I hinted that Senator Ranum may not run for re-election, but that was because I suspected she would be running for Amy Klobuchar's current position. The announcement does not indicate any future plans for Ranum which is interesting because even though I disagree strongly with her positions, I have heard nothing but good things about her work ethic and demeanor.
Rep. Larson is a whole different story. He has done very little for the people of east Richfield/Bloomington or the state of Minnesota. I will post more on these matters as we move towards November.
I suspect there may be more changes in SD63 and CD-5. Do not be surprised if Rep. Paul Thissen (63A) announces he is running for Congressman Sabo's seat for CD-5. Why? Of the two reps for SD63, Thissen is clearly the strongest candidate to replace Ranum, but Larson is the one stepping out so far. If Thissen had designs on this seat it would have been announced today. Furthermore, Thissen appeared at an event a few weeks back with Rep Sabo. It was interesting that he was the only one there, not Ranum or anyone else. Maybe this is a coincidence, but it sure is intriguing.




<< Home