Is This Legal?
Richfield Finally, I have found a source similar to sources like MDE. I received an email that was sent by David Weinlick, the chair of the SD63 DFL BPOU to a local mail group. (On a side note, David will soon will be the chair of the Minneapolis City DFL, replacing Lois Regnier Conroy. Remember Lois was the subject of a few Red StarTribune articles and posts here and at MDE.)
From: David Weinlick Date: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:06 pm Subject: Speaker for Richfield HS davidweinlick Is anyone able to help with DFL education at Richfield High School? They're asking us to pull together a team to talk to seniors about the party, its platform, and its processes. I'm looking for anyone who is available during the school day who is excited about engaging high school students. Do we have any takers? --DavidThe first thought that comes to mind is the legality of it. Are there any legal issues with the school inviting someone from the DFL to speak? I suspect it may not be an issue, but I am not convinced yet. Secondly, for the sake of argument let us assume it is OK for the school to do this, but only if they also invite someone from the Republican party as well. After I received this email, I contacted David's counterpart, Rob Hewitt, at the Republican SD63 BPOU and he said he not been contacted by the Richfield High School. Finally, if there is nothing "illegal" about it, there is something not right about it. UPDATE: Thanks David for clearing this up. I actually assumed it was something like this. As long a all parties are invited I think this is a good thing.
I actually suggested that all political parties come together to the high school for a discussion, but I was told that the teachers wanted to have each party on a different day. I was told that the Green, Republican, and DFL parties had all been contacted. I told them that the Independence Party should also be invited. Rob may not have received word yet, because the school went straight to the top, rather than to the SD63 party units. The request for a DFL speaker was forwarded to me by State DFL Chair Brian Melendez. I assume that your new Republican Chair will also be diligent in passing the word down the chain to Rob. David Weinlick 10.14.05 - 5:36 am #UPDATE #2:
Hi David, I checked with our MNGOP field rep, and she said that there was no contact from the Richfield Schools. What really bothers me, is that this appears to be a one sided presentation. Conservatives are always fighting a uphill battle for equal representation on these forums, but seldom are allowed to voice their beliefs. I think that we need more diversity at our public institutions. It's ironic that today conservatives seem to be the radicals, that have to fight to have their opinions heard. Rob Homepage 10.14.05 - 10:08 am #UPDATE #3:
I have contacted our Deputy Political Director, Steve Jepsen. He will follow up with the Richfield Schools to arrange a speaker. Rob Homepage 10.14.05 - 11:42 am #




<< Home