I disagree and I'll use this quote to make my point.

"I would rather get away from that whole idea of clocks. We all want progress. But progress means getting nearer to the place where you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning, then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive ... [and] going back is the quickest way on." C.S. Lewis










I'm a member of the MOB.

Powered by Blogger


Listed on BlogShares

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com

Friday, December 02, 2005

They Didn't Want to Be a Number Either

Miscellaneous Before his execution Kenneth Boyd was lamenting about being a number.

"I'd hate to be remembered as that," Boyd told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "I don't like the idea of being picked as a number."
I feel so sorry for this man, really I do. Just think, now whenever someone says Kenneth Boyd they'll say, "Oh yeah, he was #1000." How terrible! Of course there is the flip side to the issue. Julie Curry Boyd probably would have preferred not to be remembered by the number 36, the age when she was gunned down in cold blood by Mr. Boyd. She probably would have preferred to not be remembered as the nth murder in her particular city or town back in 1988.
Boyd, 57, did not deny killing Julie Curry Boyd, 36....
That not bad enough? How about the number 57? That is the age of Thomas Dillard Curry, Julie's father. Let's not for get about the Christopher Boyd. I do not have a number for him, but do you want to guess the number of nightmares and counseling sessions he has had to endure because he was pinned under his mother's bleeding and dying body as his father unloaded a 357 Magnum into her body. Luckily he slid out from her under the bed, otherwise we might a number for him.

... and her father, 57-year-old Thomas Dillard Curry. But he said he thought he should be sentenced to life in prison, and he didn't like the milestone his death would mark.

I believe in redemption of the soul (then he is a much better place now) and I believe it is possible Mr. Boyd is a much different man, however I find his statements about the number to be unimportant. When you kill two people in cold blood and psychologically destroy a young child in the process, you do not get the privilege to whine about how you will be remembered. So how about I spare Mr. Boyd the tragedy of being remembered as #1000. Instead, I will just remember him as a cold-blooded murderer.