STOP Being the Leader Richfield!
Way back in February I commented on a proposed ordinance in Richfield. This ordinance would prohibit the police and other city officials from inquiring about a persons immigrant status. There are two groups driving this issue, Jewish Community Action and ISAIAH. I am providing links so that you can go read their positions. As I said before, I'm all for justice and it is sad that a person would be scared to report a crime because they are here illegally, but if they are here illegally then they must assume the risks that come with being a criminal. Remember, if they are illegal they are acting criminally. If a crime is committed against them they have a choice, seek justice and risk deportation or stay quiet. I'm sorry to be so cold, but isn't this the truth? I'm OK with talking about the problem, I just do not want to put a law like this on the books because once it is there it will be difficult to remove and it could handcuff our cops. Go read my post and this article to learn more. The Human Rights Commission is holding a forum to discuss this issue (the city council sent it to the commission back in February) tomorrow, May 17th. Unfortunately I cannot attend, but I urge all who can to attend this forum and contact council members and Human Rights Commission members to voice your opinion. Here are the details: Tuesday - May 17 - 7 to 9 p.m. Richfield Community Center (7000 Nicollet Ave. S)

<< Home